I'll allow "pinning" as long as you pull up the post & pin from it for a direct link for others. :-)

16 April 2010

Cards and Thrifting

It's been a crazy week & haven't felt much like crafting, but I did manage to get out of the house the other day to keep from going completely bonkers.  I ended up at the Harrisville DI (aka Deseret Industries, a Utah thrift store owned by the LDS church).  I was searching for a shelf to go in the master bedroom on Chris' side of the bed, but ended up with these yummy treats instead...for a whopping $4.25!

I was very pleased with my haul.  I have plans for a couple of the pieces...can you guess which ones?  Lemme help ya out:
Any guesses as to what I plan to do with those pieces?  I also will be putting a pewter drawer knob that I found at another thrift store with them.

I'm not one for collecting china or stray saucers, but these two sweeties were sitting on the shelf just calling my name...for 50¢ and 75¢, so how could I leave them behind?
The gold on the top one is PERFECT, nothing chipped or scraped off & the bottom one had such lovely detail and the best shade of soft blue for the background, it just made the vintage girly-girl in me positively giddy!  I'll be finding some plate hangers & putting them on my she-cave walls soon.

I did make a couple of cards this evening.  I needed a sympathy card so I came up with this:
I used 3 of the largest dies out of my Labels Four Nestabilities, a MS butterfly punch, some paper from Provo Craft, my Cuttlebug folders (textile & script) for the die cuts, some pretty pearl swirls from Basic Grey, and my homemade glimmer mist (made of water & Perfect Pearls).  I sprayed the butterflies with the glimmer mist before mounting them onto the card.  Here are some close-ups, so you can see the details:

This card (below) will be traveling to London.  My "fan-girl crush," David Tennant, is celebrating his birthday on Sunday and, according to some interviews I've read and seen, one of the people he's always admired is Audrey Hepburn.  I did some searching on the web, found this lovely image of Ms Hepburn & printed it out onto some white cardstock.
I distressed the edges of the photo with Ranger Distress Inks (vintage photo & walnut stain), cut a paper doily in quarters, inked the doily bits with Ranger Distress Ink (tattered rose), found some background paper from my scrap stash that picked up the colors and tones in the photo, added a few half pearls and I have a lovely birthday card.  Hope he likes it!

Hope you did, too!  I'll share what I do with those glass pieces in a day or so - it's about half done as I type this post.  Thanks for stopping by & have a great rest of your day!!

1 comment:

Holly Young said...

I think your sympathy card is so pretty - very soft and serene. Love the butterflies!
Can't wait to see what you do with your thrift store finds.

E-mail me!

E-mail me!
If you have any questions or comments, just click the picture.

Thank you, Jaime, for my "gorjuss" sigtag!!

Photobucket

My 2nd blog

My 2nd blog
Challenges, Sketches, & Blog Hops Galore!!

Recent Visitors