I'll allow "pinning" as long as you pull up the post & pin from it for a direct link for others. :-)

11 May 2010

Ribbons

Last week, when I made my laundry detergent, I figured since I was in "experiment mode" I would continue with a project that was inspired by Little Birdie Secrets. They showed how to dye your own vintage seam binding ribbon. When I saw LBS' video, it made the vintage girly-girl in me jump up and down, squealing! *LOL* It really is pretty & I can see me using it on so many different things.

They never said what type of ribbon they used, other than seam binding ribbon, and I have sent them an e-mail asking for the brand so I can locate it.
Their blog post directed me to an Etsy shop & after spending the last two weeks looking around, I've learned that there are OODLES of rayon ribbon out there. Now the question is...WHICH rayon ribbon did they use?!? As soon as I have their answer, I'll let ya know so you can try this too.

For my attempt, I had some matte satin seam/blanket binding. It was a little stiff, so my concern was getting the wrinkle, since that was the effect that appealed to me the most. I didn't want to use my homemade glimmer mists just yet for this project, so I just dug out some retired SU re-inkers that I had in a box. {I'll be buying some Ranger Distress re-inkers to use with my glimmer mists once I get my hands on that ribbon!} I wet the ribbon with water, then only used 3-4 drops of re-inker per ribbon, crunched them up really well, and just left them sitting on styrofoam plates till they were about 90% dry & I was sure that the ribbon had absorbed the ink. The first time I blotted them with towels, most of the ink came off...I think that because the way this particular satin ribbon is woven, it doesn't allow for much absorption.

Here they are drying:


I had seven re-inkers, so I tried a little ribbon in every color.
This is the purely pomegranate.
River Rock. I used this on Sunday's card that I shared with you yesterday. It's an interesting khaki/greenish-yellow color.
Wild Wasabi
Groovy Guava...I really liked this color...kinda reminds me of the coral/red/aqua combos that are being used in cards right now. It's pretty.
Ballet Blue. Pretty, but a tad too bright for me. This one would be nice grunged up with a gold or bronze glimmer mist to tone it down.
Blue Bayou. Really liked this color...I think it would make a more elegant vintage look with some lace and flowers....
And finally, Soft Sky. LOVED this shade of blue in the ribbon! It's right there in that NOW color scheme that everyone's trying. I can just see this with some creamy ivory/yellow and a bright cherry red...maybe a pop of granny smith apple green. {Did you hear that? My vintage girly-girl is getting jazzed again! *LOL*}
Think I'm gonna go have some lunch, then make a couple of cards with this ribbon, even if it is a bit stiff and not as wrinkly as I'd hoped for. If I can get them done today AND find out what kind of ribbon Little Birdie used, I'll be right back to share!

Thanks for stopping by & have a great rest of your day!!

2 comments:

nessy said...

oh what fun you have had!! gorgeous colours!!
vanessa xx

Sharron aka Sharrahug said...

Love, love, love these ribbons, Sis. You did a FABulous job on them...........And can't wait to see you use them on your beautiful creations!
Huggies ~
Sharron

E-mail me!

E-mail me!
If you have any questions or comments, just click the picture.

Thank you, Jaime, for my "gorjuss" sigtag!!

Photobucket

My 2nd blog

My 2nd blog
Challenges, Sketches, & Blog Hops Galore!!

Recent Visitors