I'll allow "pinning" as long as you pull up the post & pin from it for a direct link for others. :-)

10 November 2008

What a week!

Sorry I've not been able to pop in like I'd hoped, but this last week has been insane & it doesn't seem to be letting up any time soon.

I finished & mailed off my recipe cards for the swap at PC Crafter (pic to follow sometime this week). Now to work on my digital recipe swap, sock swap, Christmas cards, Christmas gifts, neighbor goodies, Christmas sales order, and a new project that I'm dying to get YOU involved in (it'll be further down the post).

I had my oldest son down sick with a tummy bug on Saturday (UP side - got in a great workout running up & down the stairs all day! LOL) - happy to say that his tummy was calm while I took in my season finale & season premiere of The Doctor (I can't imagine anyone but David Tennant as Doctor Who now, honestly...he's Da Bomb! I heard a rumor recently and now I'm jonesing for the return of Rose!!!); woke up Sunday morning to the furnace blowing cold air (OY!); later in the day my washing machine started making this gawd-awful noise that, I kid you not, sounded like I'd tossed in DH's tool box to clean -- thank goodness for extended warranties! -- I called Sears & the soonest they can come look at it is 21November, so I get to live with it trying to dance out of my wash closet till then; and FINALLY...just as I was getting everything shut down for bed, my middle son decides to start tossing his cookies - he couldn't let his big brother have ALL the attention this weekend, now could he? He was up till 2am & is now laying in his bed waiting for the "fever phase" to pass. He hates apple juice, but it's the only thing they can keep down...we'll try toast later, if he feels brave enough. He keeps fighting me on it, though, and I'm breaking out great-gramma's recipe for honey & vinegar water! (Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha!)

Now for something that I'd like YOU to get involved in. It won't take long, it'll be good for your SOUL, good for your creative side, you've got plenty of time to complete it, AND you'll have the braggin rights to say that you were part of a huge world-wide project. I was "blurfing" (blog+surfing) this morning & after following a link, attached to a link, attached to a link (you know how THAT goes), stumbled into a blog by Dan & came straight here to tell you all about it.

This event is called The Butterfly Project and it's being hosted by the
Holocaust Museum in Houston, TX - they're doing an exhibit in 2012 to pay tribute to the 1.5 MILLION children that lost their lives (their latest posting shows that at the end of this summer they have 400,000 butterflies - that's just under 1/3). They do have a few rules: No larger than 8"x 10"; NO GLITTER; two dimensional is preferred; and NO FOOD mediums. Other than that, you're free to do whatever you'd like - stamp, paint, inks, draw, papers, fimo clay, wire, beads, embossing, hand-written poetry...whatever strikes your fancy.

Draw & cut your own butterflies...or if your template-challenged (come on...it's okay to own it...really!), Dan was a darling and has provided TWO butterfly shapes in three different template options -- print & hand-cut, a SVG file for using on the Cricut, & a DXF file for CraftRobo users (I think you Wishbladers can use this one, too...right?). I've included his link (above) so you can grab 'em if you need 'em. Thanks Dan!!

If you're a school teacher, they have a section where you can involve your class and make a wonderful learning experience out of this project (just click the link to the Museum that I've included above for all the information you need).

My grandfather fought in WWII (according to his military papers, he was toe-tagged FIVE DIFFERENT TIMES - guess he wasn't ready to go). This project will be a nice way for me to share his experiences with my boys - he died from Alzheimer's & lung cancer 5 yrs ago - they never got to know him the way I did. It's also reminded me that I need to call Granny & ask her about the book they wrote on the Rainbow Battalion (PaPa's troop) - he had a copy of it that he showed me years ago when I was in High School & I'd love to have a copy of my own...


I have a feeling that until I see the HVAC man later today, I'll be cutting butterflies for this wonderful project. I'll share what I make, and humbly ask that if you decide to participate & own a blog or store website, please post your creations (I'll be happy to post your links if you send 'em to me!) & tell the world about this exhibit.

I'm off to brave a load of blue jeans...better grab my ear plugs! (LOL)
Have a great rest of your Monday!

1 comment:

Deb M. said...

Thanks for sharing the info on the Butterfly Project, Nora. What a wonderful cause. I will have to get busy and make some butterflies. :o)

Thanks again...hugs,

E-mail me!

E-mail me!
If you have any questions or comments, just click the picture.

Thank you, Jaime, for my "gorjuss" sigtag!!

Photobucket

My 2nd blog

My 2nd blog
Challenges, Sketches, & Blog Hops Galore!!

Recent Visitors